Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2003 15:05:04 +0300
From:      Yar Tikhiy <yar@freebsd.org>
To:        Christoph Sold <cs@cheasy.de>
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>, ppc@freebsd.org, fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HFS/HFS Plus driver and tools for 5.x are available

On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 10:21:32AM +0100, Christoph Sold wrote:
> Robert Watson wrote:
> >On Sat, 22 Mar 2003, Yar Tikhiy wrote:
> >

> >>I'm glad to offer to the community an HFS and HFS Plus filesystem module
> >>and tools, ported from Darwin to FreeBSD 5.  Of course, it's a rather
> >>early version that deserves thorough testing.
> >>
> >>Please see http://people.freebsd.org/~yar/hfs/ for details.
> >>
> >>I'm looking forward for your feedback.
> >

> >Very, very cool.  I hope to try this sometime in the next couple of days.
> >So correct me if I'm wrong, but assuming journalling is working properly
> >in your port, this is the first complete open source journalled file
> >system available for FreeBSD.  :-)
>
> Neither HFS nor HFS+ are journaled file systems. Have a look at
>    http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/mac/Files/Files-99.html
> or
>    http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1150.html
> to read through the specs. (URLs shamelessly grabbed from the page
> mentioned above :*)

Christoph and Robert, I'm sorry to have to disappoint both of you ;-(

Christoph: Apple has indeed introduced an extention to HFS Plus to
make a journaled FS out of the latter.

Robert: Unfortunately, the journaling feature seems tangled with
the Darwin-specific unified buffer cache, and I haven't attepted
to untangle it yet.  However, that is on my to-do list.

--
Yar