Date:      Tue, 19 Jul 2011 23:43:38 -0700
From:      "Thomas D. Dean" <tomdean@speakeasy.org>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Xorg Fails on HP Envy 3D Laptop

I have an HP Envy 3D laptop with 64-bit FreeBSD 8.2-stable, as of today.

I upgraded xorg to the latest port version, after updating the port tree
with portupgrade -PRrvab.

The laptop seems to have two graphics devices.  See Xorg.0.log, below.
The BIOS will not allow disabling either graphics device.

With no xorg.config, startx fails, with error messages.  Searching for
this situation results in an indication that this device configuration
is not supported.

I created an xorg.conf.new with Xorg -configure.

Xorg -config xorg.conf.new  blanks the screen and the does nothing.
Xorg -config xorg.conf.new screen='Screen0' fails with a blank screen
Xorg -config xorg.conf.new screen='Screen1' fails with a blank screen

I changed the driver to vesa in both sections.
Xorg -config xorg.conf.new screen='Screen0' fails with a blank screen
Xorg -config xorg.conf.new screen='Screen01 fails with a blank screen

It appears the vesa driver will not support this configuration.  I tried
the vga driver without success.

What may I do to help diagnose this problem?

tomdean

>From /var/log/Xorg.0.log
<snip>
(!!) More than one possible primary device found
(--) PCI: (0:0:2:0) 8086:0126:103c:159b Intel Corporation 2nd Generation
Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller rev 9, Mem @
0xc0000000/4194304, 0xb0000000/268435456, I/O @ 0x00004000/64, BIOS @
0x????????/65536
(--) PCI: (0:1:0:0) 1002:68a8:103c:159b ATI Technologies Inc Broadway
[ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6800 Series] rev 0, Mem @ 0xa0000000/268435456,
0xc0700000/131072, I/O @ 0x00003000/256, BIOS @ 0x????????/65536

<snip>

(II) VESA: driver for VESA chipsets: vesa
(II) FBDEV: driver for framebuffer: fbdev
(II) Primary Device is:
(WW) Falling back to old probe method for vesa
(WW) Falling back to old probe method for fbdev
(II) Loading sub module "fbdevhw"
(II) LoadModule: "fbdevhw"
(II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/linux/libfbdevhw.so
(EE) LoadModule: Module fbdevhw does not have a fbdevhwModuleData data
object.
(II) UnloadModule: "fbdevhw"
(II) Unloading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/linux/libfbdevhw.so
(EE) Failed to load module "fbdevhw" (invalid module, 0)
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
         at http://wiki.x.org
 for help.
Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional
information.