Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 1997 20:31:55 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-ports@freefall.freebsd.org, uwp@ukrv.de
Subject:   Re: ports/3205: Mtools-3.0 fails to WRITE to dos partition under 2.2 (fix supplied)

>Ok, now here's the solution: mtools-3.5a
>
>They provide SCSI-support and many bugs have been fixed. I'd suggest to include
>this version in the packages. It's hardly recommended for most users like me
>who has partitions beyond 1GB because msdosfs can destroy such partitions.

Actually, vfs_bio, not msdosfs, in pre-2.2 versions of FreeBSD can
destroy all partitions on all disks, not just msdosfs partitions, if a
single msdosfs partition with a cluster size of > 16K is mounted, even if
it is mounted read-only.  msdsofs partitions larger than 1GB have a block
size of > 16K, so they have the problem.  Smaller partitions may also
have the problem, e.g., ones that were shrunk from larger than 1GB to
smaller than 1GB using a shrinker that doesn't change the block size.

Bruce