Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 1995 12:03:30 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        fenner@parc.xerox.com, terry@lambert.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel versions and config's rm -rf

> >Yes, please.  This keeps the breakage in the dependency graph (which
> >will hopefully some day be fixed) sperate from the config, which
> >removes far more than it really has too, but does so because the
> >dependecy graph breakage is hidden from it.
>
> Arrgh.  The dependencies are all contained in .depend and Makefile.
> `make clean' doesn't remove the former so you have to do it.  `config'
> touches the latter (even when it shouldn't) so you don't have to remove
> it.  The following steps are sufficient:
>
> 	cd /sys/compile/FOOKERNEL
> 	make clean
        ^^^^^^^^^^
> 	rm -f .depend
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> 	cd /sys/i386/conf
> 	# in case config is still broken:
> 	export NO_CONFIG_CLOBBER='config clobbering is braindamaged'
> 	config ...

"^" marks the steps which I believe are workarounds to gaps in the
dependency processing.

> >I'm wondering at the existance of compile time optioning in the first
> >place.  Really, it exists because the device driver and other subsystems
> >don't have explicit registration mechanisms that don't depend on static
> >data.
>
> No, it exists because static configuration is easier to implement and
> has less bloat.

Why wasn't it use for IP forwarding and TCP/IP RFC 1323 and RFC 1644
compliance configuration, then?

Pick one pardigm and apply it globally, please.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.