Date:      Mon, 31 Mar 1997 17:53:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      James da Silva <jds@torrentnet.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Error installing pine-3.96

In article <12424.859846640@time.cdrom.com> Jordan writes:
>> We already take into consideration the possibility of a person having a
>> pc with multiple os's on it.  Why can't we consider the option of having
>> one pc with multiple versions of fbsd on it?  One of the excuses for not
>
>It's too hard? :-)
>
>For one thing, you can't give it its own partition since only the
>first 0xA5 type partition is booted from and I can't really imagine
>how you'd make multiple versions co-exist in a single partition.

There are two "hacky" ways to do this relatively easily that I've
implemented in past lives:

1. A simple utility reads/writes the partition table, setting the desired
   partition to 0xA5, and any other 0xA5 partitions to, eg, 0xA6.  Thus you
   run something:
	# active-bsd 1
	# reboot
   To make partition 1 the "active" (eg 0xa5) bsd partition and boot into
   it.

2. Modify the kernel bootup sequence to check for a directory under the
   root matching a desired string, eg, "freebsd-<version>", and chroot to
   that before doing anything else.  Inside that directory you play hard
   link and symlink games to get a different, version specific, view of the
   world.

I wouldn't recommend either of these methods for inclusion in FreeBSD, but
for a clueful developer wanting to mess around with different *BSD
versions, these aren't too painful to implement for personal use.

Jaime
:  James da Silva  <jds@torrentnet.com>        :  Stand on my shoulders,  :
:  Torrent Networking Technologies Corp.       :      not on my toes.     :