Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 2016 22:04:34 -0800
From:      Mark Johnston <markjdb@gmail.com>
To:        Hans Petter Selasky <hps@selasky.org>
Cc:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CP2102 UART adapter not attaching

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 09:41:01AM +0100, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> On 01/10/16 05:07, Mark Johnston wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have the module listed here:
> > http://www.amazon.com/KEDSUM%C2%AE-CP2102-Module-Download-Converter/dp/B009T2ZR6W
> >
> > Under Windows 8 it works perfectly, but on FreeBSD-CURRENT I get:
> >
> > usb_alloc_device: set address 3 failed (USB_ERR_STALLED, ignored)
> > usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 3 failed, USB_ERR_STALLED
> > usbd_req_re_enumerate: addr=3, set address failed! (USB_ERR_STALLED, ignored)
> > usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 3 failed, USB_ERR_STALLED
> > usbd_req_re_enumerate: addr=3, set address failed! (USB_ERR_STALLED, ignored)
> > usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 3 failed, USB_ERR_STALLED
> > usbd_req_re_enumerate: addr=3, set address failed! (USB_ERR_STALLED, ignored)
> > usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 3 failed, USB_ERR_STALLED
> > usbd_req_re_enumerate: addr=3, set address failed! (USB_ERR_STALLED, ignored)
> > usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 3 failed, USB_ERR_STALLED
> > ugen1.3: <Unknown> at usbus1 (disconnected)
> > uhub_reattach_port: could not allocate new device
> >
> > It looks like this device should be handled by uslcom(4), but it looks
> > like we can't even get the device descriptor. How can I go about
> > debugging this?
>
> Hi,
>
> What does "usbconfig" say about your USB controllers?
>
> Did you try to connect through an external USB HUB?

No, I don't have one handy. usbconfig shows:

ugen0.1: <XHCI root HUB 0x8086> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=SUPER (5.0Gbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen1.1: <EHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen2.1: <EHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus2, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)

> The log you show basically shows that the device is refusing to enumerate.
>
> You can try adding "options USB_REQ_DEBUG" to GENERIC. Then you'll have
> some more sysctl knobs under hw.usb which allows you to try to figure
> out timing related issues.

I tried increasing several hw.usb.timings sysctl values but haven't had
any luck so far.

> Which version of FreeBSD are you using?

CURRENT at r293678 with some local modifications. No changes to the USB
stack though.