Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 1998 15:33:51 GMT
From:      efinley@castlenet.com (Elliot Finley)
To:        jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as router, terminal server

On Tue, 17 Feb 1998 13:16:43 GMT, you wrote:

>On Mon, 16 Feb 1998 23:13:55 -0800 (PST), Doug White
><dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 16 Feb 1998, Gary Dunn wrote:
>>
>>> I am developing alternatives for an ISP start-up. A typical ISP involves
>>> a unix server, a router, and a terminal server. It seems to me that a
>>> reasonably fast Pentium should be able to perform the routing and
>>> terminal service, at least in the early stages of growth.
>>>
>>> Am I over-estimating performance?
>>
>>You'll outgrow that pretty quickly, servicing serial ports can eat CPU
>>significantly.
>
>Anybody have experience with Comrtol Rocketport multiport serial
>adapters and how many ports they can run on one box?

I have two 32 port ISA boards in my FreeBSD box...  Right now only the
first 32 ports work...  When I called Comtrol, they got someone right
on it...  They tweaked the driver, and now there is a new Beta version
up on their ftp sight that should allow up to 128 ports in one  box...
Haven't had the time to check it out yet though.

--
     Later
        Science (efinley@castlenet.com)