Date:      Tue, 07 Jan 1997 00:07:55 -0800
From:      Josh MacDonald <jmacd@CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   installing info files

I apologize if this has already been discussed, I just resubscribed
after unsubscribing for finals.  GNU texinfo-3.9 was released sometime
in November.  In addition to some long-awaited bug-fixes, it introduces
the install-info program, which finally makes it easy to install info
files into the dir file, usually /usr/local/info/dir or /usr/share/info/dir.

I use info a lot and like to have my dir file up to date, but notice that
many of the packages in ports do not install the info files.  Does anyone
think it would be nice for the package tools and bsd.port.mk to be more
aware of info files?

There are two new texinfo commands called @dircategory and @direntry
which are used by the author of the info file to tell install-info what
nodes to link into the dir file and what category to install them in.

For example, I added:

@dircategory Version Control
@direntry
* PRCS: (prcs).           The Project Revision Control System.
@end direntry

to the texinfo file for PRCS.  When I run install-info, it adds a label
"Version Control" if it doesn't exist and the node PRCS if it doesn't
exist.

What I propose is to remove /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/texinfo and place
the latest version in /usr/src/contrib/texinfo.  This will likely
involve upgrading some of the info files scattered throughout the
tree because for some reason makeinfo doesn't understand old formats
(makeinfo in the tree is pretty old, if I try to make world with
the current version of makeinfo it fails in several places because
the new version of makeinfo pukes on the texinfo files in the source
tree).  Then, add support to pkg_add and friends and bsd.port.mk,
I'll do the work, how's this sound?

-josh