Date:      Tue, 02 Mar 1999 10:37:21 -0800
From:      Nocturne <dpilgrim@uswest.net>
To:        "Paul T. Root" <proot@mail.iaces.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USPest [Was: Re: support for ADSL cards drivers in FreeBSD]

"Paul T. Root" wrote:
> > > When you get service from USWEST, you get the 675 free, along with a 3COM
> > > ethernet board (ISA, I think). I think they say it's a $300 value, or so.
> >
> > Actually they'll send you a PCI version (905B-TX), but you have to
> > ask for it directly.  USW will even send you a prepaid shipping tag
> > for the old card if you "forgot to ask for PCI when you ordered."
> > Ain't that swell?
>
> Yes, but I heard discussions of just having the ISA available because of
> problems with the PCI card. I don't know where that went.

I have the PCI card and it works quite well although I've yet to put
it through any sort of performance test.  The ISA card didn't have a
WOL connector or 100b capability, so I asked for the PCI version.
There was the other minor detail: I didn't have a free ISA slot.

The only problem I ever run into was one time, after a lightning
induced power outage, the LAN activity lights kept blinking and I
couldn't access any internet services.  The WAN and LAN link lights
were on, but the whole thing just wasn't being nice.  The diag tool
said the card was working fine and a 120 cycle fixed the problem.
Strange?

The WOL connector doesn't work either, but I think that's because
of a quirk in my mainboard's keyboard power-on feature.

Sometimes I think the Luddites have the right idea... then I go get
another venti iced cafe mocha (that's an extra large chilled coffee
with skim milk and chocolate syrup to you non-Pacific Northwest folk).

--
dpilgrim@uswest.net                                    ICQ: 29880099
gryph@mindless.com                          PGP DH/DSS key available