Date:      Fri, 11 May 2001 09:46:35 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mergemaster DEFAULT but STABLE?

--IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o

 on the subject 'mergemaster DEFAULT but STABLE?'
Nuno> Hash: SHA1
Nuno>=20
Nuno> Hello to all,
Nuno>=20
Nuno> I've just upgraded my system from 4.2R to 4-STABLE for the first time
Nuno> without any errors.
Nuno>=20
Nuno> The problem is the right use of mergemaster. I have see around this l=
ist
Nuno> that some of you use other techniques of find diffs and install, merg=
e or
Nuno> do nothing about /etc files.
Nuno>=20
Nuno> For the first time I use mergemaster and I do a lot of wrong things, =
and
Nuno> the system stopted. But, I have a backup of /etc and now everything is
Nuno> working even with the old /etc files.
Nuno>=20
Nuno> What I like to know is what are the best way to use mergemaster (or o=
ther
Nuno> thing else) without puting in risk some important files but be update=
d?
Nuno>=20
Nuno> What I looking for is something like make buildworld, installworld,
Nuno> buildkernel, installkernel, etc..., because them doens't ask anything
Nuno> to the user but mergemaster do and if we do anything wrong, then the
Nuno> system maybe stops.
Nuno>=20
Nuno> Thanks very much. Now I am a STABLE guy!

In my own case, I run mergemaster -v and what I do is that I install
all the files from the temproot EXCEPT for those files I know I have added
customizations to, like /etc/group, syslog.conf, which I opt to do 'by
hand'. This is on the assumption that the files in temproot should be
having the latest 'desired' changes. Of course I stand corrected, but
since I adopted this course of action, I've never had a problem with
mergemaster.

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington Wananchi Online Ltd.,
wash@wananchi.com 1st Flr Loita Hse

One nice thing about egotists: they don't talk about other people.

--IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o

--IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o--