Date:      	Mon, 3 Jul 1995 10:03:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        James Leppek <jleppek@suw2k.ess.harris.com>
Cc:        amurai@spec.co.jp, freebsd-current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: ppp

On Mon, 3 Jul 1995, James Leppek wrote:

> Suppose the provider accepted the 192.0.0.1 address and arp'd
> it (mine did). How does the provider know that for freebsd machines the magic

  You should tell your provider to fix his broken equipment.  For
example, using the IP of a nameserver or a mailhost would really mess
things up.

  This gets real ugly when the PPP server is broadcasting routes to gateway
routers.  A large ISP in the US had similar equipment, and some joker
decided to use 1.0.0.1 as an IP address, that route was actually
broadcast out onto some major backbones so that you could actually
traceroute to 1.0.0.1 from outside systems.

> "I want an IP" address is 192.0.0.1
> Some providers offer both rotory and fixed IP service we just can't tell
> them to change for fbsd. I have tried it did not work :-)

  What is supposed to happen, is that the PPP server should _tell_ your
system what address to use.  There is no need to use a "magic" IP address
to signal this, as the PPP protocol has full address negotiation
capability.  I've setup a PPP server that can do both static and dynamic
assignment with no requirement for magic IP's.

Tom