Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 1997 21:06:15 -0500
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        leec@adonai.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: netscape via pppd cannot seem to get name service

At 8:15 PM -0500 4/23/97, Lee Crites wrote:
>I am just now starting to get people who are dialing in using things
>like netscape to browse the internet.  They are dialing in to my system
>from modems (what else, right?), attached to my digiboard, connecting
>via pppd, with a ttys entry line:
>  ttyD00 "/usr/sbin/pppd -detach 11520" unknown on secure
>
>Not sure what they were talking about, I installed netscape 3.0 PE on a
>win95 box.  When I click on the icon, the dialer pops up.  After filling
>out the login/password, it dial in without a hitch.  I can send and
>receive mail (this message being proof of that) with no problems.  But I
>cannot browse the internet.
>
>If I enter "http://www.freebsd.org" in the browser, it sits there
>thinking for a minute or two, then times out.  I can, however, enter
>"telnet://adonai.net" (which is my server I am dialed in to), get a
>telnet window and *ping* www.freebsd.org without any problems.
>
>So...
>
>What am I missing?  What magical switch do I have to throw so netscape
>can see outside name service?

Lee,

Are you sure the problem is NS rather than routing?

I suspect that someone who dials in can access the local machine but
not any further. Mail, (and NS and telnet to adonai) only need to reach the
local machine. You can ping FROM there to the outside but I will bet that
you cannot ping THROUGH it.

Turn on the "gateway" flag in the sysconfig.

Richard