Date:      Sat, 13 Mar 1999 22:24:59 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Cory Kempf <ckempf@enigami.com>, Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gigabit ethernet -- what am I doing wrong?

Amancio Hasty wrote:

> > 200 Mb/s = 25 MB/s, which seems a little low, but is within the realm of
> > what I would expect.
>
> I think the system should be able to support at least 70MB/s at least I do over here
> with a bt848 video capture board capturing 640x480x4 at 30 frames per second
> and then displaying the frames on video display card 8)

An article in IEEE Computer magazine last summer reported achieving
320 Mb/s throughput with Myricom Myrinet boards on FreeBSD.  I've
seen this number batted around industry publications like Network
World a number of times also.  That would seem to require only a 10
Mhz clock with a 32-bit bus bandwidth; is there really this much
overhead in the PCI transactions?