Date:      Sat, 31 Mar 2012 21:05:27 +1000
From:      Da Rock <freebsd-questions@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Printer recommendation please

On 03/31/12 05:17, Warren Block wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Mar 2012, Karel Miklav wrote:
>
>> Could you please recommend me a home printer that works nicely with
>> FreeBSD?
>>
>> HP inkjets aren't that bad, FreeBSD drivers are allright, but I'd
>> like to shift towards some kind of PostScript laser. Xerox Phaser
>> 6500 looks nice, but I can not economically justify my appetite. Is
>> there a cheaper alternative or maybe PostScript printers aren't that
>> good idea anyway, heh?
>
> The Phaser 6500 has some good specifications.  Genuine Adobe
> PostScript 3, gigabit Ethernet, 24 PPM.  The duty cycle is 4,000 pages
> per month, which is very low.  Toner is expensive.  Reviews are
> somewhat mixed.
>
> It should work with FreeBSD, certainly for text.  For graphics output,
> Gutenprint doesn't have a setting specifically for the 6500, but one
> of the similar printers probably will work.  Don't expect photo
> quality, color lasers have to do halftones.
Depending. Xerox C410 used a Fiery engine onboard which produced
dramatic results- awesome photo quality I have yet to see even in an inkjet.

Not sure what the Phasers are like though; they're not actually Xerox
designed per se, but use the Xerox processes so hence the brand.

Anyway, I digress. The critical point is the print engine- if it says
Fiery grab it don't let go! :) Results may vary a little between brands,
but anything with Fiery in it is better than without. And you don't need
Gutenprint because thats what Gutenprint is attempting to emulate.