Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 1999 12:41:49 -0700
From:      gregm@netidea.com
To:        "greg klich" <mach_10_@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help

Hi from Nelson, BC.
I apologize if this doesn't apply to 2.2.5 - I started with 2.2.6 so it
might help. You'll need to upgrade to 2.2.8 eventually for y2k and
other reasons.
 You need an entry in your kernel configuration file that
corresponds with your mouse. When you boot you can check what
is setup by typing -c at the boot: prompt which takes you into the
configuration editor. Then you need an entry in /etc/XF86Config that
corresponds with your mouse as well. Is your mouse working from
the console? You can enter the graphical config by typing
XF86Setup or xf86config for a non-graphical version. If you done
this already and get no mouse action (and are sure your mouse is
working) then you probably got the entry wrong in one of those
places. You can set up your mouse by /stand/sysinstall  configure
and them mouse.
To get on line you need to configure ppp or the pppd. The FreeBSD
Handbook is a good place to start. Depending on your installation
you might find it at /usr/share/doc/handbook and if you have lynx
you can read html files from the console. Presuming you installed
from cdroms you'll be able to find these things (try /stand/sysinstall
and browse a bit). Presuming you are connected through another
os you can get the hndbook online at www.freebsd.org.
Good luck (it's worth the effort)
Greg Martin.
gregm@netidea.com