Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 1999 12:58:22 -0500
From:      Doug Ledford <dledford@redhat.com>
To:        Alan McIvor <A.McIvor@irl.cri.nz>
Cc:        aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gigabyte 6BXU problems

Alan McIvor wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Gigabyte 6BXU motherboard with onboard AIC7890 that I cannot
> get set up properly: the transfer speed is only 11.4 MByte/sec! Any
> ideas on what is wrong?
>
> It has two Seagate ST39173LW drives connected to the internal Ultra2
> cable, with an LVD terminator on the end. The motherboard LVD
> terminator is enabled because the external LVD connector is not
> used. There are a couple of disks, a CDROM, and a DDS3 tape drive on
> the SE narrow bus, terminated at the end, and both the high/low SE
> terminators on on the motherboard. There is nothing on the wide SE
> bus. The SCSI bios is set to 80Mbps sync negotiation.
>
> As the /proc/scsi/aic7xxx/0 listing below shows, the LVD disks are
> running at 11.4 MByte/sec only, even with the 5.1.11 version of the
> driver patched into a 2.0.36 kernel. I get the same speed if I remove
> all of the SE devices.
>
> Any ideas of what else to check/ Your help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan
>
> ------------
>
> Adaptec AIC7xxx driver version: 5.1.11/3.2.4

>            SCSI Adapter: Adaptec AIC-7890/1 Ultra2 SCSI host adapter
>                            Ultra2-LVD/SE Wide Controller
>     PCI MMAPed I/O Base: 0xee000000
>  Adapter SEEPROM Config: SEEPROM found and used.

>   Transinfo settings: current(43/15/1), goal(43/127/1), user(43/127/1)

Great.  YANSF (Yet Another New Seeprom Format).  Actually, it looks like this
is a non-Ultra2 SEEPROM format on an Ultra2 card or something similar.  Boot
with the option aic7xxx=dump_card in order to see the SEEPROM contents.  Then,
send that info to me.

--
  Doug Ledford   <dledford@redhat.com>
   Opinions expressed are my own, but