Date:      Sun, 5 May 2002 00:15:42 +0000
From:      "J. Mallett" <jmallett@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>, Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/share/mk bsd.doc.mk bsd.docb.mk bsd.info.mk bsd.init.mk bsd.lib.mk bsd.libnames.mk bsd.man.mk bsd.nls.mk bsd.obj.mk bsd.own.mk bsd.prog.mk bsd.sgml.mk bsd.subdir.mk sys.mk

On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 10:05:18AM +1000, Bruce Evans wrote:
> On Fri, 3 May 2002, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
>
> > On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 22:00:05 -0600, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> > > The attached patch "fixes" it for me.
> > >
> > > I'm sure someone can come up with a cleaner way of fixing the problem.
>
> It doesn't seem to be very easy to fix.  Kernel makefiles should not depend
> on anything outside of the kernel tree.  Depending on bsd.kern.mk is bad
> enough.

Nothing outside of it (except modules, which are arguably seperate) should be
using bsd.kern.mk, should it?  One could easily argue that such should be
localised to sys/conf, and that way all you'd need to build would be src-sys,
as far as cvsup collections go...  And that way you will not end up using
stale makerules in the default search path.

Thoughts?
--
jmallett@FreeBSD.org   | C, MIPS, POSIX, UNIX, BSD, IRC Geek.
http://www.FreeBSD.org | The Power to Serve