Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 1996 23:08:23 +0200 (EET)
From:      "Andrew V. Stesin" <stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua>
To:        dwalton@psiint.com (Dave Walton)
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org, sos@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange lockup problem

Hello,

[... kbd lockup when switching consoles ...]

# > 	If you still can do telnet to your box (or come into it
#
# It's not a matter of 'still'.  This particular box is set up to be
# stand-alone.  The network stuff has never been configured.

	Pity.

# Any idea what the underlying problem is, and what the cure might be?

	Strange hardware. I remember the rumours this has something
	to do with updating the state of kbd "status" LED indicators,
	and some brand of kbd controller chips on the MB which has
	problems with this.  Another source of strange problems
	often is hidden in a slightly misconfigured BIOS.

	Probably the author of the driver can tell you more detais,
	I'm sending the copy to him.

# > 	Sometimes re-plugging of kbd jack cures it (dangerous!)
# > 	or a command kbdcontrol -r fast < /dev/ttyv0 (issued
# > 	after coming into the box via telnet).
#
# I'll try these, but all they will do is FIX the problem.  I need to AVOID it.

	Please remember, FreeBSD is a _volunteer_ project. :-)
	No warranties, only the good will of the FreeBSD people and
	probably some patience can help.  Don't be afraid, though --
	I have had probably all possible kinds of hardware problems
	since Nov. 1993, because we here are often using a low quality parts;
	all problems were solved, some sooner, some later.
	Several times I found that it's much easier to replace a "strange"
	piece of hardware with a more standard item, and beleive me -- I never
	was sorry in a long run.

	The first thing you can try is simply increase all the timeouts
	in /sys/i386/isa/syscons.c, some three times up or even more.
	But that's another "fix" (read: kludge), not a real solution.
	Let's wait what the author of keyboard driver will tell us.

# > # mouse.  The only changes were to comment out I386_CPU and I496_CPU,
# > # change the ident, and add options ATAPI, device wcd0, and device psm0.
# > # When I enable psm0, the system boots fine, but with the keyboard locked
# > # up. Disabling psm0 eliminates the problem.
# >
# > 	No idea on this.
#
# Since it's the keyboard, I suspect there is some relation between the two
# problems.  This is actually the more important of the two, since it
# prevents me from running X.

	Sorry, David, I have no experience with bus mice and their
	possible interaction with kbd controller, still no ideas.
	I think that the _exact_ specs of your motherboard
	(manufacturer, model name, chipset, output of dmesg(8) after
	booting with '-v' switch to the loader) may give some
	helpful hints.
#
# Dave
#
# ==========================================================================
# David Walton                                     Unix Programmer
# PSI INTERNATIONAL, Inc.                          email: dwalton@psiint.com
# 190 South Orchard #C200                          Fax  :(707)451-6484
# Vacaville, CA 95688                              Phone:(707)451-3503
#
#

--

	With best regards -- Andrew Stesin.

	+380 (44) 2760188	+380 (44) 2713457	+380 (44) 2713560

	"You may delegate authority, but not responsibility."
					Frank's Management Rule #1.