Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 1996 12:42:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@luke.pmr.com>
To:        100626.3506@CompuServe.COM (Jan Knepper)
Cc:        khetan@iafrica.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: compile time

Jan Knepper wrote:
> Kheten Gajjar wrote:
>
> /* > A kernel recompile on 2.1.0 takes for me:
> > text	data	bss	dec	hex
> > 954368	61440	74356	1090164	10a274
> >       257.32 real	162.45 user	    18.24 sys
>
> Wow! What machine have you got ? */
>
> <ugh> A Pentium Pro 200, 64 MB RAM, NCR SCSI-2 2.1 GB HD, 6x SCSI CD-ROM...
> I am running my own company and have a couple of machine's. Only P's though. The
> PP200 is the latest toy. I think it is in for almost 2 months now, may be longer
> already. I usually develop in C++ for Window NT/95, 3.1x, OS/2 Warp, Novell
> NetWare. Header files and other stuff is getting so *huge* that a faster
> machines really pays off these days...
> I used a P120 before. The compile time turned out to be LESS than half what is
> was before! That is what I call improvement. <grin>
>
> Don't worry, be Kneppie,
> Jan

Its a bit of an apple to oranges comparison, but my Pentium Pro
200 with Natom chipset, 96MB RAM, NFS mounted /usr/src over a
10BaseT ethernet link, compiling a customized -current kernel with
the -pipe option gives me:

text    data    bss     dec     hex
876544  57344   84876   1018764 f8b8c
 207.21s real  150.37s user   14.31s system

Note that these times do _not_ include "make depend".  That adds
just under a minute of elapsed time to the results.

--
Bob Willcox	       politics, n:
bob@luke.pmr.com         A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of