Date:      Fri, 2 May 1997 14:31:08 +0200
From:      alexlh@yourchoice.nl (Alex Le Heux)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What to buy?

Ian Vaudrey writes:

[stuff cut]

> >     8 GB SCSI HD (Seagate?)
>
> I've no experience of Seagate SCSI drives, but I've had several of
> their IDE drives fail. The high failure rate of Seagate units has also
> been reported on recently in Computer Shopper (UK). I use Fujitsu SCSI
> drives in my servers with no failures to date.

I have exactly the opposite experience. We have several Seagate Baraccuda
drives here, and the have been _working_ very hard for the past year. No
problems whatsoever. I know of several other people who have Baraccuda drives
and they haven't had any problems either.

Fujitsu on the other hand... Over the past year I've come accross 6 Fujitsu
drives, none of which is still alive. They all started to have problems after
about a two months of heavy use.

> >     SCSI Tape Drive (Seagate?)
>
> Travan? No experience of these, so no comments.

[more stuff cut]

I have always been a big fan of HP DAT drives. We own several here, and they
perform flawlessly.

Just my fl. 0,02

Cheers,

Alex
--
/// I dabble in techno-house and sometimes,
/// I do that badass hip-hop thang...