Date:      Wed, 9 Apr 1997 17:40:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ASUS SC200 SCSI controller

On Wed, 9 Apr 1997, Glenn Johnson wrote:

> I am thinking about buying an ASUS SC200 SCSI controller card. However,
> I have read on this list that there must be BIOS support for the card.
> Is this correct? If so, how do I know if I have support? I have an AMI
> BIOS on a Pentium PCI motherboard. I checked my BIOS settings and could
> not find anything related; but I also checked my system at work, which
> has an AWARD BIOS and could not find anything related to SCSI there
> either.
> I think I remember reading that the AWARD BIOS had NCR SCSI
> support.  I am not at the system in question at this time so I can not
> provide more details. If I do not have BIOS support, what other
> inexpensive but good SCSI cards could I look at? Thank you.

Generally, the AWARD BIOSs do have the necessary support for the
ASUS/NCR/SymBios SCSI controllers.  Your AMI probably doesn't have it.

You can purchase NCR cards with BIOS, one of which I have.  They can be
difficult to get a hold of from the end-user perspective, but if you check
Symbios's website at http://www.symbios.com and with your local computer
suppliers, you may be able to find some.  I have the 53C815, which cost me
about $125 total.  Very nice card.