Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2001 09:42:26 -0500
From:      Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
To:        Michel Talon <michel@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade to FreeBSD 4.3-RC

Michel Talon wrote:

> - Second i had disabled sound in the kernel config file since it is now
>  a module. However trying to cat something to /dev/audio or dsp
>  or using mixer said device not configured. I have a Vibra16 and have tried
>  kldloads of snd_pcm and snd_sbc in each order without any effect.

Just load snd_sb16 (or whatever module contains driver support of the
Vibra16), and it will load all of the dependencies automatically.  For
example. all I have to do for my ESS 1868 is put

snd_ess_load="YES"              # ess isa

into /boot/loader.conf, and the other modules are loaded automatically:

Preloaded elf module "snd_ess.ko" at 0xc032c09c.
Preloaded elf module "snd_sbc.ko" at 0xc032c13c.
Preloaded elf module "snd_pcm.ko" at 0xc032c1dc.

To unload the sound driver, simply do

kldunload snd_sb16

and it should unload all the dependent sound drivers.  So, all you need
to do is kld{load,unload} snd_sb16

to load the sound driver.