Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 1995 08:42:08 -0700
From:      nate@sneezy.sri.com (Nate Williams)
To:        "Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage" <ache@astral.msk.su>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: What programs use libreadline?

Andrey A. Chernov writes:
> In message <199503170627.XAA04430@trout.sri.MT.net> Nate Williams
>     writes:
>
> >Aside from gdb in the source tree, which programs use libreadline?  I'm
> >assuming bash does, but I'm not aware of any other program that uses it
> >that runs (or might run) under FreeBSD.  If you know of a program, can
> >you send me private email and let me know so I can test out a change I
> >would like to make to the readline library to make it easier to upgrade
> >to newer versions of gdb when they are released.
>
> libreadline now developed by chet (bash author) and we have most
> advanced variant (even more advanced than original author have :-).
> I doubt, that new gdb use more advanced one,
> but if it is so, please point me to sources you play with
> and I merge changes into our lib.

I already explained that the copystring() routine is now deprecated
according to all the comments in the code, so I would like to remove it
from libreadline since it is in conflict with the newest versions of
gdb.  It's much easier to change libreadline to DTRT in the long run
than it is to always merge in those changes everytime we bring up a new
gdb port.  But, before I go off and do this I want to see if any of the
ports still use copystring() since it is deprecated, and if many of them
do then I'll punt and modify gdb instead.

Nate