Date:      Tue, 27 Oct 1998 11:35:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      Pat Lynch <lynch@rush.net>
To:        Britton Johnson <johnson@lindenwood.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (SUMMARY) Harddrive transplant

yah, I just did this recently, and it had different hardware (ethernet,
etc.) and went without a hitch. I bootted off the generic kernel, changed
the aliases in /etc/rc.conf and I also recompiled my kernel for the new
machine. I went from a 486dx2/66 (HP Vectra) to a p166MMX (Toshiba
Equiium)

all I did was move both the boot drive (IDE) and the SCSI disk (I was
using a AHA15xx? the ISA card, and moved to a 2940AU) recompiled the
kernel with the new ethernet and scsi support and everything went without
a hitch.

- -Pat

Pat Lynch						lynch@rush.net
Systems Administrator					Rush Networking