Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2001 09:00:39 -0400
From:      raviprasad20@netscape.net
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Struct ifaddr initialization.

Hi,
Please refer if_attach() of <net/if.c>.
Iam unable to understand why you are constructing a string from interface name & interface unit number ( ifnet structure members ifp->if_unit & ifp->if_name) & storing in the data member of sockaddr_dl structure. Iam also confused why you are storing the hardware address in the sockaddr_dl structure after the above string. I feel that hardware address can be accessed through the ifnet structure.

Kindly tell me the significance of the ifaddr structure initialization for ipv6 since it does not store any ip addresses. How other modules benifit from this? Where it is used?

Waiting for your reply.

regards
ravi prasad