Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 10:31:43 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        pstewart <pstewart@oncomdis.on.ca>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: current questions

On Tue, 24 February 1998 at 18:30:30 -0500, pstewart wrote:
> HI there...
>
> We are looking at setting up a series of new series based on the CURRENT
> series.  A few questions...
>
> A gentleman replied to me indicating that CURRENT supports usernames
> longer than 8 characters?

Yes, FreeBSD-current supports long identifiers.

> Anyone have any good/bad experiences with this?

Not I--I don't use them.

> Is this right out of the box or is there a special series of steps
> to go through?  What are the steps if needed? :)

I'm pretty sure it's out of the box.

> Also, a really dumb RTFM question I'm sure.... how and where do I obtain a
> CURRENT boot disk?  I've tried via a STABLE boot disk and not sure what to
> do....

Get it from somehere like
ftp://<ftpsite>/pub/FreeBSD/3.0-971225-SNAP/floppies/boot.flp.  Find a
good <ftpsite> in the online handbook.

> Finally, we are looking at a CURRENT machine for a POP3/sendmail server
> only, also a shell  access machine, a personal web pages server (dedicated
> to that task).  Will I run into problems (loaded questions I know) with
> the CURRENT release?

Maybe.  At the moment, some significant changes are being made to the
virtual memory and block device subsystems.  Jordan was going to make
a new snapshot round about now, but after nearly a week when we
couldn't even 'make world', he has postponed it.  And remember that we
*strongly* discourage using -CURRENT in a production environment.

> Where/how do I track the problems/resolutions?

Subscribe to FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.org.  If you have problems, first
try to fix them yourself.  If you can't, send a message to the list.

The people on -CURRENT aren't particularly aggressive, but you can
easily get them annoyed by not doing your homework first.  Remember,
it's a developer's group.

> The big reason for us upgrading to CURRENT versus STABLE is for long
> username support which we need BADLY...:)

I wonder if it's going to be worth it.

You might like to check out http://www.lemis.com/staying-current, and
also read the chapter about -CURRENT in "The Complete FreeBSD", second
edition (http://www.cdrom.com/titles/os/bsdbook2.htm).

Greg