Date:      Mon, 20 Jun 2022 07:42:30 +1200
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   ccache max-size and on-disk disparity

Hi,

I use devel/ccache for (internal) ports building, and noticed that the
reported disk usage didn't quite match what was configured. I had a
max-cache size of 10Gb, but  the on-disk usage was reporting 130+Gb. I
assumed that I had a corrupted cache, and cleared out the cache (rm -r
/var/cache/ccache). However, after rebuilding some ports, I see the
following:

jade:~,7:36am# ccache -s
cache directory                     /var/cache/ccache
primary config                      /var/cache/ccache/ccache.conf
secondary config      (readonly)    /usr/local/etc/ccache.conf
stats updated                       Mon Jun 20 03:19:11 2022
cache hit (direct)                   228
cache hit (preprocessed)               7
cache miss                         37023
cache hit rate                      0.63 %
called for link                      318
called for preprocessing               3
compile failed                         1
preprocessor error                     5
no input file                          1
cleanups performed                     0
files in cache                    111739
cache size                           1.7 MB
max cache size                      10.0 GB

However, the on-disk usage is quite different:

jade:~,7:37am# du -hs /var/cache/ccache
3.0G    /var/cache/ccache

Are any other users of devel/ccache seeing this?

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>