Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 1996 14:17:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Fred Cawthorne <fred@jjarray.umd.edu>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD CD-R driver alpha available

> > One sort-of wierd thing was that the CD-R stayed in dummy mode even though
> > I didn't tell it to the second time.  The docs I have say something about
>
> You could have used an explicit
>
> wormcontrol prepdisk double

I did this.
> This should reset the dummy bit (or there's a bug in our code).

I think the HP might have thought that the PMA (program memory area) needed
to be updated or something.  From the manual:
" Switching from emulation mode to real mode (or vice-versa) is not allowed
if the PMA needs to be updated.  After an (emulated) PMA update (open/start)
one is allowed to switch the write modes "
I suspect that the emulated PMA update was performed when I ejected the disk.
(it says "Normally, this is performed automatically when the disk is unloaded")
So, I don't think this is a really serious bug or anything, but it might be
a good idea to put an UPDATE PMA command, (0xEA) into the HP quirks stuff.
(after the disk is finalized)  It would only be a problem if someone shutdown
the computer before ejecting a disk that was just written.

BTW, should I make an entry and subroutines for the HP and try them out and
post diffs or something?

Fred.