Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 2009 17:01:44 -0500
From:      Alex Goncharov <alex-goncharov@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-ports-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/131016: xorg-7.4 renders system unusable!

,--- I/Alex (Mon, 26 Jan 2009 18:00:15 GMT) ----*
|  Last night I updated a desktop and have garbage .. in my windows
|  all the time now.
|
|  Nevertheless, I upgraded a laptop -- and can't use X here at all:
|
|  Bottom line: the X system is unusable after the upgrade; no diagnostic
|  tool that I tried provides a clue about how to make it work.
`-----------------------------------------------*

I spent hours and hours today trying to understand the issues -- and I
am still stuck with my laptop, which became essentially unusable after
this unfortunate upgrade.

I have read tens of Web pages discussing problems with Xorg 7.4
release -- quite recent, on various platforms.  It is hard to avoid
the impression that this is a half-cooked product at this time.

Why it made it into FreeBSD port tree, being as under-tested, as much
complained about, is a mystery.

Can we please return to the old, time tested Xorg 7.3, until the
obvious problems with this last release are figured out by X11
professionals?

Thanks,

-- Alex -- alex-goncharov@comcast.net --