Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 1996 20:40:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      mark thompson <thompson@tgsoft.com>
To:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Possible Commercial app for FreeBSD.

   From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
   Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 20:43:00 -0700

   > Get one of the industrial-strength databases (sybase or oracle) and it will
   > open whole new worlds to using FreeBSD.

   I've tried - they always tell me "Sorry, it sounds interesting, but
   you have no proven market demographics."

   I guess Jaye just touched a nerve.  We get one DB company on board and
   then they tell me that nobody buys the FreeBSD version of the product,
   so it wasn't much of a return on investment.

						   Jordan
Jordan,

It does not seem to be just BSD. I talked to a guy at Wingz (they have
nicely ported to Linux (works fine on FreeBSD 2.1.5, if anyone cares))
and he said they had expected to get a couple-thousand sales of the
Linux version. In fact, they got less than 100. :-(.

The people who are:
running free unixes,
are doing serious stuff,
who don't write all of their own software (for fun!),
are quite rare (speaking as one who is slowly moving all of my work off
of the mac and onto FreeBSD).

Of course, there is some of the old chicken-and-egg situation happening
here. Since there are no serious users, the serious-user software is not
available, and since there isn't software, the serious-users don't appear.

I think PC-unix is slowly clawing mind share from, say, the Amiga. I suspect
it is still quite a ways from making a noticeable dent in the evil empire.

-mark

p.s. Still need a good word processor, and small business accounting