Date:      Tue, 4 Jan 2011 22:29:09 +0200
From:      George Liaskos <geo.liaskos@gmail.com>
To:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Nvidia driver?

> The GT240 seems to be within my price range, it looks ok. Only one
> thing sticks out: it says in the description "DirectX 10.1" - I have
> no specific wish for anything better but 10.1 was supported by ATI's
> 4xxx card, practically two generations ago - is GT240 that old?

Yes it's old, do a research about GTS450.

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDPAU
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_PureVideo#Table_of_PureVideo_.28HD.29_GPUs
>
> Is it supported by common software like VLC (in X11)?

multimedia/ffmpeg has a configuration option for VDPAU, VLC / Mplayer / XBMC etc
use ffmpeg for decoding, so yes.

I have an ATI 3650HD on my laptop, obviously the open source driver offers a
cleaner solution but after all these years it doesn't provide basic
features like proper power management.
The card works at 100% all the time and it gets pretty hot. I don't
even touch topics like 3D performance and CPU offloading.

If nvidia doesn't support FreeBSD then who does, intel or amd?
Who works for those opensource drivers to become better on freebsd, i
am all for donating.