Date:      Sat, 20 Jul 2019 15:33:50 -0400
From:      Daniel Morante <daniel@morante.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to package maven based ports

I've run into the same issue while attempting to port a few JAVA apps
that use maven and more recently one that also uses yarn for dependencies.

> Have a look at the java/eclipse port. It uses a pre-warmed maven
> repository that is fetched from github.
While this is indeed a clever solution, it's (in my opinion) not ideal.
Don't take this personally, I applaud you for taking the time and effort
in making the Eclipse port.  I use it on my systems.  However, I feel
that it's important that I point this out.  There are potential problems
with this approach.  Most notably that the source of the dependencies
gets changed from the original location.  The consequences could be
serious should something happen to your repository.

This in my opinion is a bigger issue caused by these so called 'modern'
package managers that are becoming popular to use (maven, npm, yarn, and
composer to name a few).  Historically like what is currently done with
perl and python (and to a lesser extent ruby), we would create ports for
each of these libraries and let the ports system handle the rest.

Ideally the FreeBSD ports system should have the needed tooling to fetch
these type of dependencies as part of the same process used during the
dist files retrieval step.  One method would be for the porter to
include the pom.xml, composer.json, and/or package.json files as part of
the port skeleton.  The ports system would (using appropriate tools)
download the dependencies to 'pre-warm' a local cache as you are doing.
Then set the environment to use the local cache instead of downloading
during the build phase.

I think this may be possible to hack together using the current make
targets 'pre-fetch' and 'post-fetch'?  Further thinking about this,
having the pom.xml in the skeleton may not even be needed is you can use
the post-fetch target?