Date:      Sat, 13 Jun 2009 12:41:55 -0600
From:      Dan Allen <danallen46@airwired.net>
To:        Paul B. Mahol <onemda@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Something since June 8th clobbers my disk...

On 11 Jun 2009, at 5:41 PM, Paul B. Mahol wrote:

> Looks like boot(8) is problematic.

Okay, here is the June 13th noon update to this problem.

I once again installed a May 28th build.  Rebuilt world and kernel
from source.  Everything works great.  No custom kernel, just GENERIC.

I then merged in just /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/libi386 changes to June
10th.  Rebuilt in /usr/src/sys/boot and installed it, no problem.

Then I merged in the latest from /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/loader,
rebuilt, installed, and BOOM.  DEATH TO DRIVE.  Disk label GONE
again.  Hangs after "BIOS drive C: is disk1" at boot.  Does not get to
memory check, let alone to the "Welcome to FreeBSD and choose a boot
option" screen.

CULPRIT REVEALED:
So, there is only one file change in /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/loader
from June 8th to June 10th, which kills my machine very repeatably,
and that is the Makefile.

Something in /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/loader/Makefile is killing my drive.

What do I try next?

Thanks for the help.

Dan