Date:      Tue, 26 Oct 1999 17:21:54 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        "Craig Critchley" <craigc@nwlink.com>
Cc:        "Garrett Wollman" <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTP Net Performance

>Thanks.  I guess I need to track down the thesis and give it a read - the
>graphs themselves are relatively uninteresting - flat lines at large
>negative numbers.  (This is a small enough network that I can make sure
>there is more or less nothing else happening when I try to FTP something.)
>
>I got conflicting suggestions from a couple people about whether to use full
>or half-duplex.  The device defaults to half-duplexing, which seems to be
>correct for a hub (the two machines do not have the switch between them as
>they are both on the 100Mb segment).  I'm not too concerned about 50Mb vs.
>100Mb, or even 10Mb vs. 100Mb - I'm getting barely 100kilobits.  Three
>orders of magnitude difference.  But uploading to the BSD machine goes full
>speed.  (For the record, ifconfig and the hub blinkies agree that I have a
>100Mb link.)
>
>Looking at netstat -i, I see that I'm getting Oerrs of about 15% of Opkts,
>but no Ierrs.  There is an inconsequential number of collisions.  Perhaps
>the error rate is to blame for the problem.  What sorts of things do these
>errors represent?

   You shouldn't be getting any output errors - that is definately indicating
a problem. Have you tried replacing the cable? What sort of motherboard is
the card plugged into?

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.