Date:      Tue, 01 Sep 1998 21:24:33 -0400
From:      Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
To:        Satya Devireddy <satya@dspsoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: netscape freezing

Satya Devireddy wrote:

> Even I have the same problem first with 4.05, then 4.06, and now 4.5beta
>
> I also sometimes get multiple Xlib Error windows of different sizes onthe
> screen all at the same time (5 to 10 a second) just filling the screen
> up..
>
> Netscape hangup's happen 99% of the time when I am scrolling on a page
> with large amount of text/tables (my yahoo page).
>
> Also hangs up sometimes when reading newsgroups.
>
> One more thing is when the netscape is in hanged state, the keyboard
> input does not work on other windows (xterms) until the communicator
> is KILL'ed.
>
> My system is a ASUS P2BS 233PII, 64MB PC100, IBM SCSI HDs
> Matrox Millenium II, Intel EtherExpress Pro 100
>
> FreeBSD Current 3.0 (Aug 16 snap) + CAM + XFree86 3.3.2 with 3 patches.
> Afterstep 1.0
>
> I rebuilt the XFree86 from scratch recently.
>
> This is turning into a major inconvinence to me...
>
> Also, sometimes when the netscape dies automatically, the process
> does not get killed but its CPU utilization goes up gradually till 99% !!
>
> Any help is appreciated,
>
> -Satya
>
> PS: This is my home box. atleast it hangs here. On my work box it just
> dies. sometimes taking afterstep with it. (PPro Dual 180,64MB)

Just to talk about it and to hate netscape, my netscape 4.06 die/freeze
hard when the internet ppp session close/crash. I need to kill it and it
wont even start if the internet is not ON. Also, it frequently cause a
swap_off.
I have 32 meg of ram and a P200. I think I need 64.
--
[Malartre][malartre@aei.ca][http://www.aei.ca/~malartre/]