Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 1998 19:24:41 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I withdraw the fraggin question.

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> When I made a suggestion, based on some experiences I've had in the past,
> I didn't realize the flames and personal attacks that I'd be subjected to.

Given all the recent stuff about how to increase the FreeBSD user base It
is worrying.

It seems to me that some people probably forget that the mailing lists and
news groups are probably the front-line new user helpdesk.

If you do go move to Linux you won't find things much better, but I won't
be surprised that you do it.

> I apologize for my outrageous suggestion that vi be moved onto the root
> partition, and humbly beg forgiveness from the godlike beings whose anger
> I have arroused by my stupidity.

Yeah, there's a lot of people who know how you feel, don't take it
personally, you'll get flamed for the most incredibly sensible suggestions
by the Linux crowd as well as bad suggestions. I'm on the fence about
where vi should be put, I hate the bloody editor!

> Wonder if Linux is looking for any crazy, stupid ideas that might help
> system functioning in some difficult cases...

Dont' do it!, for your sake - although I'm sure it can't be as bad as I
remember =)

	Steve

Steve Roome - Vision Interactive Ltd.
Tel:+44(0)117 9730597 Home:+44(0)976 241342
WWW: http://dylan.visint.co.uk/