Date:      Thu, 7 Jun 2001 20:33:40 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        <freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Strange Linux Emu behaviour

Hello.

While preparing our systems to run KYLIX I have to patch glibc
libs with special version patched by Borland. While doing this
I realised a strange phenomenon on two SMP machines:

I started up with a Linux shell by typing /compat/linux/bin/tcsh
and then I tried to run rpm -i as I did this three times before on
other machines successfully. I received this:

error: failed dependencies:
        /sbin/ldconfig   is needed by glibc-2.1.3-22B

This looked like as Linux can not find its tools the right way
or a mixture between Linux and FreeBSD has been tasken place. I checked
with 'uname -a' what kind of environment I use and got FreeBSD
(on the three successors I got Linux!).

Netxt step was to figure out obvious differences between the machines,
but they all use the same Linux configuration as it has been installed
by the installer (linux_base). The systems of success are two UP systems with
AMD CPUs and on SMP machine with two PII - so I think it is not a point of
the difference in UP and SMP, maybe.

Then I unmounted linprocfs on one of the unsuccessful machines and tried again.
All right, after running Linux tcsh and typing uname -a I got Linux as expected.
Then I cd'ed to my source directory, tried rpm again - and got the same error!
Immediately after receiving this error again I typed uname -a again and got
FreeBSD!

It seems that Linux emulation is switching ... This happens exactly the same way
on another SMP server. The strange behaviour showing uname -a (I use this to check
in which 'mode' I'am actually) is shwoing up not in a deterministic way and it is
really strange and surely a bug!

I reported a few days ago strange things regarding to Lahey F95 compilated software.
A simple Fortran prgram 'hello world' runs after compilation on these machines the first
time - if it get called a second time it shows an libc error regarding to getcwd.

Has anyone a suggestion?

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institut fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinensaal)