Date:      Sat, 11 Jul 1998 17:22:11 +0200
From:      Stefan Eggers <seggers@semyam.dinoco.de>
To:        "Michael W. Smith" <mwsmith@merlin.darkmage.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, seggers@semyam.dinoco.de
Subject:   Re: Too many files open?

> I keep getting a too many files open error on the system and it's hosing
> it all to hell. A friend of mine who's more familiar with FreeBSD told me
> I need to rebuild the kernel but he wasn't sure which directive I need to

No, you don't have to.  You can increase the maximum number of files
opened at the same time on the system at will with sysctl.  Just look
at the list it gives with "sysctl -A" and you will soon find the
variable which does this.

Put a script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d which does the appropriate sysctl
call and on startup the system sets their number to the new count
automatically.  That's how I did it on my 2.2-stable system.

If it is that a program can't open enough files at the same time there
is a limit setable with sysctl which is used systemwide for processes.
Additionally a process has its own soft and hard limits that one sets
with limit (csh/tcsh) and ulimit (sh/ksh/bash).  Their initial values
depend on the settings in /etc/login.conf.

Stefan.
--
Stefan Eggers                 Lu4 yao2 zhi1 ma3 li4,
Max-Slevogt-Str. 1            ri4 jiu3 jian4 ren2 xin1.