Date:      Fri, 17 Feb 2012 09:01:28 +1000
From:      Da Rock <freebsd-questions@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Chip Oakley <silverskymusic2@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Technical Support Question

On 02/17/12 05:11, Chip Oakley wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> The boot CD will boot on the other machine, but not on the computer for my
> intended install of BSD.
>
> I set the boot order to boot first from CD ROM in phoenix BIOS.
>
> It is a Samsung Laptop it is windows 7 home edition I called Samsung and
> they have no information on overriding a windows password only restoring to
> an older version which got my here in the first place.
>
> There is a prompt at Startup stating press any key to boot from CD.
> Pressing any key only leads to that same screen in windows asking for the
> password, except for the function keys that lead to BIOS configuration.
>
> Am tempted to remove the drive and insert a new one, not sure as there is
> memory on the drive available and nothing really wrong with it.
>
> Cant imagine there is not a fix somewhere.
>
> Any other ideas?
Look, these new laptop BIOS' can be most frustrating. Try a USB install
using the memstick img - thats how I installed finally. I got jack of
the messing about with the security measures they take on laptops these
days.

For reference, the boot settings in BIOS are pretty dynamic on the
laptops now, so if you set the boot order it may change the next time
you reboot from whatever you're doing. It _should_ let you do what you
want once you exit BIOS though. And make sure of the boot order, it may
be confusing. If you know someone who knows BIOS better, use them to
help. Also look for a boot order key at boot up, this will change the
boot order temporarily but you will have to be quick.

You should probably make a decision about what you're going to do with
the restore partition as well. You can make the disks on CD/DVD if you
want so you can restore later, then dump it. Be aware (in this decision)
that manufacturers can be real shits about *not* having Windows
installed when you warranty repair. You may not want to have the fights
like I have. Their policies _are_ illegal, but sometimes you may not
want to have that particular argument... :)