Date:      Wed, 07 Mar 2001 22:29:26 +1100
From:      Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Security Level in Sysinstall

Kris Kennaway wrote:

> Check the -security archives for about 3 or 4 weeks ago -- someone
> posted a big list of all of the things which the security setting in
> sysinstall does, which will hopefully make its way into the Official
> Documentation at some point.

Thanks, just incase anyone else was wondering and couldnt find / be
botherd searching the security archives I will post what the levels
do here... Since it is something that was only added in 4.2 Im sure
plenty of people will wonder what it all dose!

Extreme
Adds the following settings to /etc/rc.conf
inetd_enable="NO"
portmap_enable="NO"
sendmail_enable="NO"
sshd_enable="NO"
nfs_server_enable="NO"
kern_securelevel_enable="YES"
kern_securelevel="2"

At this level the following services are disabled:
inetd
portmap
sendmail
sshd
NFS

The kernel securelevels are enabled and raised to level 2

High
Adds the following settings to /etc/rc.conf
inetd_enable="NO"
sendmail_enable="YES"
sshd_enable="YES"
portmap_enable="NO"
nfs_server_enable="NO"
kern_securelevel_enable="YES"
kern_securelevel="1"

At this level the following services are disabled:
inetd
portmap
NFS

Kernel securelevel is enabled and raised to level 1

Medium
Adds the following settings to /etc/rc.conf
inetd_enable="YES"
sendmail_enable="YES"
sshd_enable="YES"

If the machine has been setup as a NFS client or server:
portmap_enable="YES"

If the machine has not been setup as a NFS server:
nfs_reserved_port_only="YES"

At this level the following services are enabled:
inetd
sendmail
sshd

Depending on whether the machine is setup as a NFS client or server:
Client: portmap
Server: portmap and NFS is only provided on a secure port

Kernel securelevel is not enabled

Low