Date:      Tue, 30 May 2000 21:15:23 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@nightcastleproductions.org>
To:        Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Letting normal users halt the system

On Tue, 30 May 2000, Nathan Vidican wrote:

> Alternately then, you could create a new group, (eg shutusers), and
> re-chown /sbin/shutdown to root:shutusers, then chmod 750. Note that
> while placing them in the operator group allows them to run the
> shutdown, it does not allow them to explicitly use 'reboot' or 'halt',
> but rather 'shutdown -h now' and 'shutdown -r now'.
> 	I am assuming that these are workstation machines you want the users to
> be able to shutdown/reboot no? Why not try using some utility like kdm,
> (KDE's X-Windows login app), as a replacement for Login: ?

I think, from the other information I've received, sudo is the better
solution. I will get it and set it up right away. I'm not using kdm (or
something) because I like the normel text console more. Although users
could access the console using xterm under X11, I still like the
sudo-suggestion more.

Thanks for all the help,
Nils