Date:      Sun, 19 Sep 2004 14:59:37 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Michael Johnson <ahze@ahze.net>
Cc:        Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: multimedia/gstreamer-plugins request

--=-xWkYO03q4Fx4X9qDnuRm

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 16:19, Michael Johnson wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
>    Gstreamer-plugins seems to keep getting bigger and bigger and more=20
> and more
> ports depend upon gstreamer-plugins. The problem with gstreamer-plugins=20
> is that it
> supports so much and is not built with many optional dependancies by=20
> default.
> A good example of a big problem is audio/rhythmbox, if you decide to=20
> build it with
> gstreamer-plugins and don't have mad and/or vorbis support in=20
> gstreamer-plugins you have to rebuild
> and reinstall gstreamer-plugins.
>=20
> My idea is splitting gstreamer-plugins in to smaller master/slave=20
> ports, similar to what has happened
> to all the php ports did last month. We have=20
> USE_GNOME=3Dgstreamer-plugins right now which works
> but it is too broad and won't let you tell gstreamer "hey i need the=20
> XXX plugin for this program to work!"
> We need something that we can say we need XXX to run this. For exaple=20
> USE_MULTIMEDIA=3Dgstreamer-faad
> would use the faad gstreamer plugin.
>=20
> In the long-term I think it would be smart to make USE_MULTIMEDIA (or=20
> what ever we call it) support
> more than just gstreamer-plugins because other multimedia ports such as=20
> audio/speex have about
> 15~ ports than depend on it so we could also do USE_MULTIMEDIA=3Dspeex,=20
> this would save time and
> effort in upgrading many ports. Or better yet, USE_MULTIMEDIA=3Dxmms ....
>=20
> I am more than willing to help out or do all the work on splitting=20
> gstreamer-plugins
> in to master/slave ports. I also thought that since ports is in a=20
> freeze right now would be a good time to work on it
> if you agree with my ideas =3D)

There is actually some good sense to this since there are more and more
ports that require non-default gstreamer-plugins configurations.=20
However, this does add a large amount of administrative overhead.

The solution can't just be master/slave ports that frobnicate various
WITH_* macros since that would make a lot of conflicting ports.=20
Something similar to what was done with PHP would definitely need to be
done, and there is where all the overhead comes in.  I suggest you get
lioux and kwm's thoughts on this.  If they're okay with the work, then
this might be a much better solution than what we have today.

Joe