Date:      Mon, 06 Sep 1999 14:34:44 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, Pascal Hofstee <daeron@Wit401305.student.utwente.nl>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: softupdates in latest build?

> 	And as any lawyer can tell you, this doesn't mean anything.  The

And as any lawyer can tell you, you can get sued for having the wrong
colored hair if somebody decides that's worth going to court over.

Nothing constitutes lawsuit protection because there's no such thing
as lawsuit protection - you can be sued at any time and for any
reason.  The question is whether or not you'll win, and I think the
likelyhood of that is small enough that I'm not going to lose sleep
over it - FreeBSD, Inc. doesn't have enough assets to make it worth
suing anyway, and if I were going to start seeing legal monsters under
the bed then the packet filter would be the very LAST thing I'd be
worried about.  I'm far more worried about being sued over software
patents!

- Jordan