Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 1996 07:05:12 -0700
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        kline@tera.com
Cc:        binhdo@cs.ubc.ca, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where to get fvwm version 2? Thank you.

    Gary> 	On a tantential subject, has anyone played around with
    Gary> ``ctwm''?

Yep.  It's a lot like fvwm.  In several respects, it's better.  For
example, it does allow left/center/right title justification and
shaped window titles (fvwm2 allows this, though).  It also lets you
have pixmaps for various buttons---you can really fool some people
into thinking they're on a Windows 95 box.  It gives you multiple
workspaces with large virtual desktops in each one, like fvwm.  It
even lets you drop windows into the workspace/virtual desktop panner
box like tvtwm---a nice feature that fvwm doesn't have.

But I chose fvwm over ctwm since it lets me bump the cursor to the
edge of the screen to either page-flip or scroll to other parts of the
virtual desktop.  This spacial model is so intuitive, it hurts!

    Gary> At work on our Suns, a few people have switched over from
    Gary> twm to ctwm.  It look nice; full of nifty features.
    Gary> But....I'm not sure that I want to hassle with changing the
    Gary> dot files.

Since both both fvwm and ctwm were based on twm, the dot file syntax
isn't too different---less so for ctwm.

    Gary> 	Can anybody summarize what these different window
    Gary> managers do that good ol' twm doesn't?

                   twm  tvtwm  piewm  ctwm  fvwm  olwm  olvwm  gwm
Attractive(1)                               *     *     *      2
Virtual desktop         *      *      *     *           *      2
Workspaces                            *     *                  2
Pixmap icons                          *     *                  2
Pixmap decorations                    *                        2
Edge scrolling                              *                  ?
Icon manager       *    *      *      *     3                  2
Opaque move        *    *      *      *     *                  ?
Opaque resize                         *     *                  ?
Squeeze title      *    *      *      *                        ?
Extensions(4)                               *                  2
Pie menus                      *                               2

Notes:
1. Highly subjective, and each window manager might provide enough
   customizability to become attractive to a particular taste.  A star
   here means the look/feel is pleasant out-of-the-box.
2. Yes, if you learn enough of the language/feature set to do it.
3. Through an extension.
4. What fvwm calls `modules,' a way to programmatically extend the
   features of the window manager through a user-provided forked
   program that performs two-way communication with the window manager
   with a defined protocol.

Anyone care to expand/correct the table?  Who's used swm?  vtwm?  9wm?

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory, Boulder Colorado USA

The people in the village were real poor, so none of the children had
any toys.  But this one little boy had gotten an old enema bag and
filled it with rocks, and he would go around and whap the other
children across the face with it.  Man, I think my heart almost
broke. Later the boy came up and offered to give me the toy. This was
too much! I reached out my hand, but then he ran away. I chased him
down and took the enema bag. He cried a little, but that's the way of
these people.  -- Jack Handey