Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 2021 11:04:53 -0700
From:      Chris <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com>
To:        =?UTF-8?Q?Peter_Ankerst=C3=A5l?= <peter@pean.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: using interface groups in pf tables stopped working in 13.0-RELEASE

On 2021-04-14 10:44, Peter Ankerstål wrote:
> const { trusted:network mgmt:network dmz:network
>>> guest:network edmz:network \
>>>        admin:network iot:network client:network }
>>> If I reload the configuration I get the following:
>>> # pfctl -f /etc/pf.conf
>>> /etc/pf.conf:12: cannot create address buffer: Invalid argument
>>> pfctl: Syntax error in config file: pf rules not loaded
>> Some changes in the pf source have been made over the last couple
>> of months. The error returned appears to be related. It appears
>> that your running into a table size/count and memory allocation
>> related error. The first change moved/changed memory allocation to
>> kernel space, requiring one to increase allocation via loader.conf(5).
>> It was recently moved back to userspace allowing one to make changes
>> to a running system via sysctl.conf(5) or the commandline.
>> IOW if your on the recent change you should be able to simply
>> increase your table count by executing something like:
>> # echo "set limit table-entries <larger-table-count>" | pfctl -m -f -
>> OTOH if your stuck with the change in kernelspace, increase
>> net.pf.request_maxcount=
>> by some amount in loader.conf(5). If you are on the newer userspace
>> change, you can issue the sysctl(8) command at your terminal for
>> net.pf.request_maxcount=
>> as well.
>
> I dont think so. Everything works normally if I switch from group name to
> interface name
> in the config.
Sure. I only mentioned it because 1) the error you received looked almost
exactly
the same as the one I encountered after the (pf source) changes, 2) alot of
work
has been done recently (as I mentioned above). :-)
I'll defer to kp@ (Kristof Provost) for more insightful possibilities. As
he's done
most all the recent work. :-)

--Chris