Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 17:23:18 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
Cc:        "Duke Normandin" <01031149@3web.net>, "David Johnson" <djohnson@acuson.com>, <mij@osdn.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: documentation issues generally

Doug Young <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au> types:
> Seems like the docs situation is destined to keep going the same route as
> present. Its quite obvious that the "official" docs people are more
> interested in the systems used to create docs than the content thereof.

The way to deal with that is, of course, to submit improved
documentation to them. They seem both responsive when it comes to
adding submissions from other people, and appreciative of receiving
them. They are more responsive and more appreciative if you mark the
submissions up properly, as that leaves less work for them to do. But
their markup language is easier than modern HTML, and lots of people
have learned that.

> I personally don't believe there is any point in submitting material to
> freebsd-docs ... I favour an infinitely more user-friendly format (eg

Have you tried submitting something in that format? If not, what did
you base this conclusion on? As indicated above, my experience
submitting things has been pretty good.

> including a bunch of screen dumps, step_by_step examples & "real world"
> examples of typical commands) rather than the mind numbing synopsis
> style complexity of the man pages.

Trying to use the man pages to learn FreeBSD is like trying to
use Websters to learn english. I'd expect the results to be mind
numbing in either case.

> Maybe the man pages aren't the "correct"
> place for explicit explanations, but if thats the case then the Handbook
> certainly is.

I was just thinking that. And was going to suggest that if you wanted
to contribute to the project, going through the handbook, writing down
every word that you needed a definition and it's section title and
then sending that to me - or -questions - to get definitions.  Iterate
over that list until you think the results are acceptable. Finally, PR
the thing.

> To be fair its definitely an improvement on what it was a year
> ago & light years ahead of most of the linux equivalents, however the screen
> dumps /examples / etc are still conspicuous by their absence.

Yes, it's a lot better than it was a year ago. That's because users
stepped up and improved it. And yes, it still needs improvement. I've
submitte FAQs and man pages and have got a handbook entry I'm about to
submit. Some of them even include examples.

> OK so some of
> the user-friendly sites have errors .... at least they make an honest
> attempt to provide information in an intelligible form which is something
> still lacking in the official documentation.

The blame for that documentation not being in the official FreeBSD
documentation should not be layed on the authors of the FreeBSD
documentation; it should be layed on the authors of those sites. There
are places for almost all of that in the official documentation, and
they probably could have gotten it accepted if they had submitted it.

The bottom line is that FreeBSD is a an open source volunteer
project. "Volunteer" means that nothing gets done unless someone steps
up to do it. "Open Source" means anyone who wants to has the
information they need to do that. If you think something in FreeBSD
sucks, you can fix it, so just do it.

	<mike