Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 17:10:39 +1030
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [press@apache.org: PRESS RELEASE: ASF Reaches Agreement with Sun to  Allow Open Source Java Implementations]

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 10:22:19PM -0800, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Bill Huey wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 09:46:57AM -0800, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> > > Yep, there are lots of pessimistic scenarios in this.  The question is
> > > whether anyone will care if/when high quality open source JVMs start to
> > > appear.
> >
> > It's pretty difficult to do so because of the size of shear size of the
> > JVM and because it's a moving target.
>
> It'd be tough to start one from scratch; I'd wager it's about the same
> amount of code complexity as the GNU C toolchain today.  What's more
> likely is someone open sourcing an existing JVM, and putting their
> existing dev resources (or enough dev resources) on it.  Or throwing
> their weight behind Kaffe or something like that, but more likely
> releasing a new one.

My favourite here would be ORP.  Its done by Intel, so there is enough
weight behind it (albeit x86 centric weight) and the license is
essentially BSD (or Apache if you like :) style.  IMO the biggest lack
at the moment isn't in the JVM world (there are quite a number that come
to mind) its in creating all the run time classes which actually get
you "Java".  GNU Classpath is pretty much the only attempt I'm aware of
to remedy it and their status still indicates that they are _aiming_ to
be compatible with 1.1 (i.e. they're not yet at 1.1 compatibility with
1.4 out already).

--
Greg Lewis                            Email : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Eyes Beyond                           Web   : http://www.eyesbeyond.com