Date:      Sat, 9 Jun 2001 21:16:15 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cloning network interfaces

--3MwIy2ne0vdjdPXF

On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 07:02:14PM -0700, Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 09:24:22PM +0100, Brian Somers wrote:
> > I think it'd be better to use the solaris ``plumb'' keyword.  I can't=
=20
> > recall how it works (something like ``ifconfig gif0 plumb'' - I=20
> > haven't got a Solaris machine handy here), but it seemed cleaner,=20
> > making it more obvious what's being done.  An ``unplumb'' keyword may=
=20
> > be appropriate for doing the removal.
>=20
> That's how it works.  I've though about adding (un)plumb functions, but
> that gets a bit weird.  With the current way ifconfig parses options
> would require that you peak at the argument list early because you need
> to create the device before arguments are processed.  Also, given the
> way the FreeBSD rc system works you have to support commands like:
>=20
> ifconfig gif0 plumb inet 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.2 tsrc 192.168.1.6 tdst 192.168.=
1.7
>=20
> because you only get one shot at each device[0].  In -stable I think I'd
> like to leave the current create behavior where devices are created if
> you try to use them and perhaps emit a warning suggesting using plumb
> to avoid breaking configs.  In 5.0 I'd be reasionably happy to force
> plumbing of interfaces if there's come concensus that it's the right
> way to go.  Alternativly, we could hack the rc system to try plumbing
> all interfaces before they are used.  Any opinions on this?

I went ahead and nuked the auto-creation and -D flag in favor of plumb
and unplumb in the patch at:

http://www.one-eyed-alien.net/~brooks/FreeBSD/gif.diff

This version includes a change to rc.network to plumb gif interfaces
before calling gifcreate.  This will still trip up users who build
static gif tunnels from hosts with dynamic addresses since they can't
run gifconfig yet, but we don't really have any means of supporting that
in the rc files yet anyway.

-- Brooks

--=20

--3MwIy2ne0vdjdPXF