Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2006 01:38:03 +0300
From:      "ANdrei" <lists@hausro.de>
To:        "Daniel A." <alive@dienub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Good network card?

I'd suggest 3com ethernet cards. Here in Romania I could find them used (but
working) for 3euros (100Mbps), and they did the job for years after that...
Even if you pay 20euros for new ones, they're worth it. Tulip clones work
pretty well in my opinion, and also Davicom chipsets (last ones I found for
6euros for 100Mbps, new in Germany, work very well). I have built a server
myself now and went for the 3Com, am very happy with it (older model, 905 or
smtg, seen by the xl driver, and though second hand works very well).
I can also recomment Intel on the expensive side, and I've had good
experiences with Realtek RTL8139B also, back when I was using smtg like
that, never had any problems with them (8139C or the 10Mbps 8029 were
horrible, though). RTL8139 is a cheap and not very realiable solution, but
if you're lucky and find a good brand, they can do the job (I had some
pretty bad ones from Genius, though, keep off of them).

I'm not an expert in kernel trap and watchdog timeouts, but as it sounds to
me I'd also check my hard drives or controller... had some nasty problems
myself with those AND a faulty memory stick, but even after taking the
faulty mem out, th hard drives kept getting me weird errors and eventually
rebooting after some kernel trap (flew by quickly, seemed like "kernel trap
11 - that's bad!" though, so not 12).

hope this helps a bit,
ANdrei
http://students.oamk.fi/~t6ruan00/
------
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down
to their level then beat you with experience...