Date:      23 Aug 2002 11:05:33 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fixit CD annoyance and other fun things

I recently had my laptop double fault after it suspended and then it
would hang when booting trying to run init (maybe the disk was too
hosed). I booted the fixit CD and then proceeded to fsck the drive.. It
started spewing 'duplicate inode ... unexpected softupdate
inconsistency' and wanted to delete every file on the disk.

I mounted the drive read-only and made a tar backup (dump cried about
-ve offsets near the end of the dump and then stopped.. grr).

Unfortunately I couldn't get ssh to work so I had to enable rsh :-/
Afterwards I figured out that ssh wasn't working because /dev/*random
doesn't exist on the MFS root floppy. ssh doesn't give a good error
message in this case though.

I am wondering if it is possible to add these device nodes, copy them
from the fixit cd into /dev (since the mfs image doesn't have MAKEDEV
either), or even just write a note about it.

Interestingly after I backed up the drive and restored it on a freshly
newfs'd system init would seg fault on boot(!). I ended up installing
4.6 on the drive and then splatting my old data back on the system (but
avoiding restoring anything in /)

I am curious as to what would cause init to segfault at boot since it
isn't linked to any libraries etc.. My /etc scripts were pretty hosed
though as I let fsck chew on the disk for a bit (eg my /etc/passwd file
had the contents on /etc/rc.diskless2)

BTW now my laptop crashes on suspend - anyone else see similar
behaviour?

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
GPG Fingerprint - 9A8C 569F 685A D928 5140  AE4B 319B 41F4 5D17 FDD5